click on the image to enlarge
Located about 20 miles south of Half Moon Bay, this 115 foot tall lighthouse has been guiding mariners since 1872. It is still in use today, using a modern beacon. However, the lighthouse is closed due to damage to its upper cornice and is awaiting repairs. Pigeon Point got its name when the 129 foot clipper "Carrier Pigeon" wrecked on it rocks in 1853. The captain thought the point was the Farallon Islands.
Location: Pigeon Point, San Mateo, CA
Photographer: Ron Karpel
Date: November, 2002